Homeschooling FAQs

Homeschool FAQ


Frequently Asked Questions about Homeschooling & Notification

To the new homeschooler it may seem quite overwhelming at first. There are so many questions going through your head.

Where do I get curriculum?
What curriculum should I use?
Can I really do this?
What about socialization?

Put your mind at ease. It’s not as difficult as it looks.

Relax and have fun. You are doing this to enjoy your children and learn together. Think about this – in school, one teacher spends 6-7 hours with 20 children. This is equivalent to one on one tutoring for 1-2 hours a day. Your children will learn a lot better in a relaxed atmosphere.

One of the first things you should think about is talking to people you know who already homeschool. They can give you a world of advice. Next you should find out about the homeschooling laws in your state. Different states require different things. Keep reading for answers to common questions. If you still need more information please request an information packet on the Contact page.

Please click the links below:

1. Is homeschooling legal? 

2. Who may homeschool?

3. Do I need to notify for kindergarten?

4. How do I get permission to homeschool?

5. When do I need to notify?

6. Can we start homeschooling midyear?

7. Can the superintendent refuse to allow me to home educate?

8. Who should I send my notification to and should I just mail it?

9. Is there a certain form I should use?

10. What information am I required to supply?

11. Does my child have to take an achievement test?

12. May superintendents require parents to meet with them in order to review their proposed educational programs? or to evaluate progress?

13. Do I have to keep a log of time spent homeschooling? Do I have to maintain lesson plans?

14. Should I provide more information than is requested?

15. Should I call the school district with questions?

16. How can I stay abreast of legislation that may affect our homeschooling freedoms?

17. Where can I see the actual homeschooling laws for my state?